Bikini Boot Camp was created by Melissa Perlman and Erica Gragg who are founders of the Amansala Spa in Mexico; a favorite wellbeing retreat of supermodels and celebrities including Sienna Miller, Cindy Crawford and Linda Evangelista.
The creators of the program say that you can lose 4 to 10 pounds and achieve the bikini body you want in two weeks. It is a comprehensive program including healthy eating, exercise, meditation and motivation techniques.
Although the term ‘boot camp’ creates visions of army style relentless workouts, Erica claims that the program won’t leave you feeling completely exhausted.
The combination of healthy eating, exercise and addressing psychological aspects is designed to help energize you. The phrase ‘boot camp’ refers more to the attitude of self-discipline and resolve.
Bikini Boot Camp guides readers so that is possible to create the spa program experience in their own homes. In addition to recommendations for healthy eating, exercise and relaxation techniques readers are also provided with instructions for spa treatment rewards at the end of the day with recipes provided for facials, cleansing beauty treatments and herbal baths such as ‘Oatmeal Rose Skin Restoring Bath’ and ‘Cooling Cucumber Honey Scalp Treatment’.
Bikini Boot Camp Diet Basics
The creators of Bikini Boot Camp don’t like to call their program a diet but instead regard it as a total lifestyle plan. Their philosophy is ‘moderation not deprivation’.
Although the program is designed as a two week intensive overhaul the idea is that the fast results achieved, combined with the changes in emotional and psychological outlook, will result in an increase in motivation that will lead to a permanent healthy lifestyle.
The program can be repeated to increase results. Book includes lifestyle plan to follow at the conclusion of the initial 2 week program.
Principles of the Program
- Never skip breakfast as this meal is essential to keep metabolism working. Participants are advised to eat fruit with yogurt, granola and/or eggs.
- Always eat when hungry. Choose snacks from the approved list and monitor portion sizes.
- Eat slowly with awareness and chew food thoroughly to improve digestion so you get more nourishment out of your food.
- Go easy on yourself. Failure should not be in your vocabulary. Realize that the process is ongoing and simply begin again at your next meal if you deviate from the plan.
Includes lean proteins like fish and chicken breast, high fiber carbohydrates such as whole grains, beans, fruit and vegetables as well as healthy fats.
Sample Diet Plan
The book contains 75 recipes and a 14 day meal plan that includes meals such as:
- Blueberry Smoothie
- Asian Chicken Lettuce Wraps with Crushed Peanuts
- Steamed Fish with Tomatoes, Peppers Onions
- Chicken Curry with Veggies on Whole Grain Couscous
Other low calorie recipes can be found here.
The book outlines a complete fitness regime with detailed explanations and illustrations.
The exercise program includes:
- Circuit training – 40 minutes each day ( to boost metabolism and tone muscles)
- Core strengthening – 20 minutes every second day (to flatten the tummy and strengthen and support the back)
- Yoga – 15 minutes a day (strengthen and elongates muscles, promotes relaxation and balance)
- Walking – 60 minutes a day (gentle cardio to increase fat loss without straining joints)
These exercises can be used with Bikini Boot Camp
Costs and Expenses
Bikini Boot Camp retails for $17.95 US.
- Balanced approach with equal emphasis on diet, exercise and psychological factors.
- Good for people who want to get a fresh start on a healthy lifestyle.
- Nutritionally balanced meal suggestions.
- Very demanding. Time required for exercise is at least 2 hours every day.
- Meal preparation may also be time consuming.
Demanding But Good Long-Term
It is unrealistic for dieters to expect to achieve their goals in two weeks especially given the wide range of weight that individuals may wish to lose. However if you can look beyond the claims that you will achieve your ideal body in two weeks this is actually a very balanced plan for longer term weight loss.
This is also a very demanding program in terms of the time investment for exercise and food preparation however those who dedicate themselves to this plan will most likely achieve good results in a relatively short time while also creating positive lifestyle changes that will benefit health.
By Mizpah Matus B.Hlth.Sc(Hons)
- Drobes, D. J., Miller, E. J., Hillman, C. H., Bradley, M. M., Cuthbert, B. N., Lang, P. J. (2001). Food deprivation and emotional reactions to food cues: Implications for eating disorders. Biological Psychology, 57(1), 153-177. link
- Gallagher, K. I., Jakicic, J. M., Napolitano, M. A., Marcus, B. H. (2006). Psychosocial factors related to physical activity and weight loss in overweight women. Medicine and science in sports and exercise, 38(5), 971-980. link
Last Reviewed: January 25, 2018